Friday, August 19, 2005

Scrabble Ring



This miniature Scrabble ring is made out of a tiny Scrabble tile, 22 gauge sterling silver wire, and lots of love and care. Simple, and oh so cute!

I had originally come up with this wire ring idea out of necessity, because no one sells rings for us thin boned people and I don't know how to metalsmith yet. Plus I have so many cute things lying around that would make great rings - this method allows you to make a ring out of pretty much anything with a hole in it. (And if it doesn't come with a hole in it, put a hole in it, and tada!)

After a bit of internet browsing, I've discovered that some legitimate jewelry designers also use a very similar technique using semi-precious stones to create more decadent, organic looking baubles. Check out Rachel Leigh jewelry to see some of these beautiful wire rings.

If anyone has any other ideas of things I can wrap into rings, please share them with me - I might just make you a ring. (And Beth, you of course know that this "B" ring is for you).


2 Comments:

Blogger lydia said...

I want a Scrabble ring! It looks very nice indeed. I'm not sure how you're attaching the piece to the metal, but other small cute things: mahjong tiles, bottle caps, foreign coins, buttons... acorns ;)

I <3 Scrabble. I bought some metal things from the hardware store (like tiny staples) to make myself a Scrabble belt, but it was planned to be three rows, and I wanted words to make sense both across and down. It never happened. I still have all these useless metal could-be-connector bits.

11:44 PM  
Blogger FancyCake said...

How did you make this?
I really want to learn how to make my own little scrabble ring, among other fun rings!

Thanks :]

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home