Friday, August 05, 2005

Squirrel Hater


Squirrels suck. I usually hate all things squirrel as much as I love all things Peeps, so you can only imagine my surprise when I became inexplicably attacted to this "oven squirrel".

I have no idea what it actually does (Googling "oven squirrel" only provided me with delicious squirrel recipes) but I found it in the kitchen section while hunting for matzoh bread potholders like Beth's, so I believe it does belong in the oven somehow. In any case, I do think it would look mighty cute in my (non-existant) kitchen.

Maybe I have found a new found appreciation for squirrels?

Still, as Carrie in "Sex and the City" once said, squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits. How true. The black squirrels are a bit cuter and more tolerable since they look like miniature cats, but most of the rest of them look like bushy, disease-infested sewer rats.

Plus when I read articles like this, it makes me want to kick them all : Squirrel Attack

If anyone knows what an oven squirrel is for, please tell me!

5 Comments:

Blogger C said...

HA!
http://www.ligonierstore.com/gift3.asp

I suspected it was to move things around in the oven (since it's listed in the potholder section of shop.com. but really, it's to pull your oven rack out without touching it.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

thanks cyndi, you are going to be a GREAT librarian!!!! (hell, you already are!)

10:46 AM  
Blogger lydia said...

I remember making an "oven push-and-pull" in 6th grade woodshop, and it looked just like this, except sans squirrel-age.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

wow- you guys made really useful stuff in woodshop, lydia. i just made, like, a chinese checkers pegboard and a plastic keychain for my dad.

4:26 PM  
Blogger EB said...

The kitchen squirrel is a fun and useful gadget to have. Pull your oven rack open by hooking the oven rack behind the squirrel's ear and pulling. Close your oven rack by putting the rack edge under the squirrel's chin and pushing. It decreases burns in the kitchen, and provides a good reason to smile. --Students in my foods labs love their squirrels!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home